The unique identity of each person and community is interwoven with its history. Smith CRM, LLC is a cultural resource management (CRM) company certified as a Historically Underutilized Business (HUB), a Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) and a Women-Owned Business Enterprise (WBE). The company is dedicated to recording and preserving not only the historically significant resources (buildings, structures, sites, districts, objects) we see around us, but also stories associated with those resources. Through recording oral histories and conducting archival research, Smith CRM, LLC reveals why historic resources exist and why they look the way they do. As Principal Investigator and President of Smith CRM, LLC, Lynn Smith believes that the stories about the resources are what make history fascinating and give meaning to our built environment.
Summary of Experience
Lynn Smith is a Principal Investigator with 17 years of experience in the cultural resource management field includes:
- Historic resource documentation for compliance with federal and state laws for transportation projects
- Photo documentation of historic buildings
- Recording oral history interviews
- Analyzing historic photographs
- Archival research of primary and secondary resources
- Preparation of nominations for the National Register of Historic Places
- National Environmental Policy Act documentation for transportation projects
Chris Ramirez of the Corpus Christi Caller-Times wrote an article about the success of the Northside History Project that Lynn Smith authored (copy path below into your web browser to view):
Madeleine Dart of the Corpus Christi Chanel 3 television station (Kiii) also covered the presentation of the Northside History Project to the community and the positive community reaction (copy path below into your web browser to view):
The front page of TxDOT's TN Magazine (September/October 2017) featured the Northside History Project in the article titled, "Bridging the Past in Corpus Christi" (copy path below into your web browser to view):
List of Projects
- D. N. Leathers I History Project, Historic Resource Mitigation prepared for The Housing Authority of the City of Corpus Christi, Senior Historian and Project Manager, 2017.
- Northside History Project for US 181 Harbor Bridge, Senior Historian and Project Manager, 2017.
- I-35E and US 67 (Southern Gateway Managed Lanes) in Dallas, Senior Historian, March 2016.
- Border Highway East Planning and Environmental Linkages for the TxDOT El Paso District, Team Member responsible for historic resource identification and analysis of the potential effects of proposed alternatives to historic resources, 2014.
- I-35 Northeast San Antonio Expansion Project Non-Archeological Historic Resources Survey, Lead Historian, September 2014.
- IH 35 Planning and Environmental Linkages Study Final Report, Contributor, May 2013.
- Border Highway West: Racetrack to United States Highway (US) Historic Resources Survey Report, TxDOT El Paso District, Lead Historian, August 2012.
- Spur 1966 From Schuster to US 85 (West Paisano Drive) Historic Resources Survey Report for the El Paso District of TxDOT, Lead Historian, August 2012.
- Dallas Horseshoe Project, IH 30 and IH 35E, Historic Resources Survey Report, Lead Historian, June 2012.
- IH-35 Cemetery Database Update Report for the TxDOT Turnpike Authority, Author, February 2011.
- Trans-Texas Corridor-35 (TTC-35) Tier One Environmental Impact Statement (EIS), Austin, TX - As a member of the TTC-35 corridor engineering team environmental group, Ms. Smith assisted with numerous tasks associated with the development of the TTC-35 Tier One EIS. The TTC-35 Final EIS received approval from the Federal Highway Administration in the form of a Record of Decision, accepting the client’s recommended alternative, in Summer 2010.
- Historic Resources Survey for Loop 375 from United States Highway (US) 54 to Zaragoza Road for the El Paso District of TxDOT.
- Historic Resources Reconnaissance Survey of FM 509 from US 77 to FM 508, TxDOT Pharr District, Cameron County, TX.
- Historic Resources Survey for FM 1660 from County Road 101 to FM 1660 for Williamson County, TX.
- Historic Resources Survey for FM 2234 from FM 521 to SH 288, TxDOT Houston District, Brazoria County, TX.
- Preservation Analysis Reports for Sixteen Buildings, NAS Pensacola, Pensacola, FL - Historian.
- Mitigative Historic American Building Survey (HABS) Recordation of Selected Buildings at NAS Pensacola, Pensacola, FL – As a historian, Ms. Smith was responsible for conducting condition assessments and preparing drawings for this project that won an award from the Navy.
- Case Alternatives Report and Mitigative Historic Building Recordation for Aircraft Hangers 122 and 123, NAS Jacksonville, Jacksonville, FL- As a historian, Ms. Smith was responsible for preparing historic contexts for Naval Air Station (NAS) Jacksonville and Naval Support Activity (NSA) Mid-South, both established during World War II with continued missions during the Cold War. For the Case Alternatives Report and Mitigative Historic Building Recordation for Aircraft Hangers 122 and 123 at NAS Jacksonville, she researched and wrote the historic context, participated in the field work to assess the condition of the aircraft hangars and assisted with the preparation of the balance of the report.
- Naval Air Station Pensacola Case Alternatives: Building Nos. 107, 322, and 636A, Pensacola, FL - Historian.
- Integrated Cultural Resources Management Plan (ICRMP) for Naval Submarine Base (NSB) Kings Bay, Kings Bay, GA – As a historian, Ms. Smith was responsible for conducting primary and secondary research to prepare the historic context for this plan and the public/private venture report for NSB Kings Bay, Georgia, a facility developed during the Cold War with a primary mission of deterrence. Ms. Smith’s research included documenting the capabilities of various ballistic missile submarines (SSBN) whose home port was NSB Kings Bay.
- Intensive Cultural Resource Surveys and Historic Context Reports for Public/Private Venture (PPV) Projects at Multiple Navy Family Housing Locations, various locations – Ms. Smith served as a historian, surveying housing at four military facilities, researching and writing the historic context for three facilities and portions of more than 10 PPV reports.
- Master Plan/Historic Structure Report for the George W. Bush Childhood Home, Midland, TX - Project Manager.
- Master Plan/Historic Structure Report of a Historic Home, Dallas, TX Project Manager.
- National Register Nomination for the George W. Bush Childhood Home, Midland, TX – Consultant.
- Master Plan for Bee County Courthouse, Beeville, TX - Project Coordinator.
- Master Plan for Wharton County Courthouse, Wharton, TX - Project Coordinator
- Master Plan for Old Red Dallas County Courthouse, Dallas, TX - Project Coordinator.
- Level III HABS documentation for the Elisha M. Pease Mansion, also known as Woodlawn, Austin, TX - Team Member. The project received a Peterson Prize in 1999.
- Sansom House Historic Structure Report, Round Rock, TX.
- Cultural Landscape Report of Memorial Park and Hike/Bike Trail, Round Rock, TX.
- National Register Nomination for the Dr. Zachary T. and Sally Lee Scott Home, Austin, TX.
Smith CRM, LLC., 2900 W. Anderson Lane, Ste. C200, #301, Austin, Texas 78757